On 3rd November 2008 GROUP CLUB HANDBALL EEIG met in Mallorca in order to discuss the results of the last congress of the European Handball Federation (EHF) which took place on 26th of September in Vienna and the council meeting of the International Handball Federation (IHF) which took place on 17th October in Herzogenaurach/GER.
The EHF congress decided to pay compensation to the clubs for the release of players to the European Championships in the amount of 10% of profit of the Euro (but minimum EUR 400.000).
The EHF congress elected Joan Marin (Ciudad Real) as Chairman of the new Club Committee.
As chairman of this committee J. Marin will be a member of the EHF competitions commission.
The EHF congress established a working group which shall make proposals regarding the question when (January or May) European Championships. J. Marin will be member of this group.
The IHF council meeting did not take any decisions regarding the issues which are of interests for the clubs, such as
– insurance of player salaries
– compensation to the clubs for the release of players
– reduction of the number of Championships
– World Championships to be played in May
IHF continues to refuse to negotiate any questions with the clubs.
Taking in account the above mentioned results the assembly decided unanimously
1. to intensify negotiations with EHF and IHF on formal and informal level in order to achieve
– a reduction from 5 Championships in 4 years
(2 World Championships, 2 European Championships + Olympic Games) to 3 Championships in 4 years
– to limit the number of national team days to a maximum per year
– to move the World- and European Championships from January to the end of May
– an insurance of the player salaries whilst the players are working for their national teams
– compensation for the release of players to the national teams
2. to intensify preparations for ‘Euroleague Handball’.
The clubs want to be prepared if the negotiations with IHF/EHF remain without satisfactory result.